OluOlu Foods X Lerato Foods Valentines Recipe Collaboration
Bean Tart with Cherry Tomatoes & Peppers
Make a statement with this delicious steam baked tart inspired by moin moin, made so easy with ready peeled beans and a generous topping of pan roasted juicy cherry tomatoes and peppers, cooked hot and fast, slightly charred and absolutely delicious. The beans can be soaked for as little as 2 hours or as much as overnight for a much easier blend, but a good blender should do the trick in no time. I serve this to make an impression for brunch or cut up in smaller tarts for a party. This dish reminds me of home, now you too can make new memories this Valentine’s season.
Cooks in 30 minutes
Serves 2 – 4
For the bakes bean tart
1 cup of peeled beans, washed and soaked for 2 hours to overnight if possible
240 – 350 ml /1 – 1 – 1/12 cup water
1 brown onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
½ scotch bonnet, optional
118 0r ½ cup vegetable oil
1 tsp or a crushed cube of vegetable stock
1 tsp salt or to taste
½ tsp smoked paprika
For the pan roasted cherry tomatoes and peppers
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 red pointed pepper, sliced
300 g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 scotch bonnet, finely sliced (optional)
¼ tsp sea salt
½ tsp smoked paprika
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C and prepare a tart or shallow baking dish. Brush the bottom of the dish with vegetable oil and line with baking paper, with a little extra paper hanging off for easy removal of the tart once cooked.
- Place a second and deeper baking dish or oven tray filled with water in the lower part of the oven to rest underneath the bean tart. This will help to create steam in the oven to keep the tart moist.
- First add the washed beans and 1 cup of water into the blender. Use the pulse function of your blender a few times to crush the beans and then proceed to blend. If using a large amount of beans, blend a little at a time to avoid clogging up the blender.
- Once slightly crushed, add the chopped onions, peppers and remaining ingredients and blend. Add a little more water at a time to loosen the texture while maintaining a slightly thick mixture.
- Pour the smoothly blended bean mixture into the prepared tart or baking dish. Place in the middle of the oven and bake for up to 30 minutes at 180C.
- After 10 – 15 minutes in the oven, once the top of the tart starts to firm up, cover the tart with foil to trap moisture in the tart.
- Once cooked, leave to rest, covered for 5 minutes. Carefully remove from the baking dish and place the tart on a chopping board to cut.
- For the pan roasted tomatoes & peppers; heat a frying pan or skillet and once piping hot, carefully add the sliced peppers. Cook on high heat for a minute or until softened and then add the tomatoes to cook for a minute.
- Add the finely sliced scotch bonnet if using and season with salt, smoked paprika and black pepper.
- Carefully scoop onto the tart and cut to serve.